Thursday, May 7, 2009

Babysitter or Child Care Technician?

I received an email today from my sister:

"Elaine and I were talking today about you needing to update your blog. We like what you write about, and we need some entertainment during class to get us through until June 9th. Please write some blogs for us. Love, Your Best Sister---Jennifer"

Hold up...let's just wait one minute. It's on me to make sure that my sister and Elaine (no offense to you Elaine, I know she made you agree to what she emailed) can "make it through until June 9th"?? This is crap! It's not like I don't have a two year old, along with watching my nephew Cameron (some of you might know who he is) just started a new job that I am hoping to do very well at...WAIT, did I mention school on top of that?!? I will say I am going strong with a 4.0 however.

So, I have decided to be a good little sister and update my blog...now on to...Babysitter or Child Care Technician?

Some of you might recognize this quote...if not, I am not telling you where I got it from and you will have to do your homework to find out, but after I heard this is got me thinking...

1. I am a mother. That stands alone and I don't think it needs much explanation.
2. Babysitter-A person engaged to care for one or more children in the temporary absence of parents or guardians---yes, the actual definition of a babysitter.
3. Child Care Technician-No definition, but if I could guess this means "babysitter".

Here's the thing...I can only count to 5 so many times during the day. I can only sing the ABC's so many times during the day. I sometimes wonder if my sanity is at stake to try to teach these kiddos the basics/fundamentals so that at least one of the kids parents' don't think that I am really holding true to the jokes I have made about giving their child beer for breakfast, a shot of whiskey with a prozac chaser for lunch and the ever so infamous Jungle Juice for an afternoon snack. I mean, I have sang the ABC's a THOUSAND times, and do you think either child wants me to feel like I have accomplished anything with them? No, of course they don't. I'm just the babysitter/mom/Auntie. Really Noah, how long is it going to take for you to count to three on your own?!? You're killin me Smalls.

So I have decided, not until one of these boys I watch makes it known that they have actually learned something I taught them, I will be known as the Babysitter. I will let it be known, if neither of them complies to my requests before June 9th, they will sleep outside, by themselves, and I am not kidding. When I know one of them has learned either 1, 2, 3 or a, b. c I can not become a Child Care Technician.

2 comments:

  1. Cameron has to talk by June 9th? Holy crap. He can say "uh oh" does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach kids something everyday, and they leave my class knowing NOTHING. It's really rewarding.
    Sorry to force you to post, but you did keep me entertained today!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete